After the post-game comments from NCAA MVP Shabazz Napier, that stated he often goes to bed hungry from lack of food, many felt like the hard-working athletes deserved more from the corporation that they make so much money for.
Well Napier, and his supporters voices have been heard, and the NCAA is has announced the new and improved meal plan program for the star athletes.
According to NBC Sports:
On Tuesday, the NCAA announced a reform as the Legislative Council has approved a change that will allow unlimited meals and snacks to all Division I student-athletes, walk-ons included. The decision will be finalized when the Division I Board of Directors meet on April 24. The change would then go into effect on Aug. 1.
“Today we took action to provide meals to student-athletes incidental to participation,” Council chair Mary Mulvenna said in a statement. “I think the end result is right where it needs to be.”
Several weeks ago, UConn senior point guard Shabazz Napier said, “there are hungry nights that I go to bed and I’m starving.” A week later, CNN posted that story, which immediately gained traction as the Huskies were en route to the National Title. While that statement shined light on the topic again, the proposed change had been in the conversation since last October. Dietitians have been pushing for since the October 2012.
The adoption of the meals legislation finished a conversation that began in the Awards, Benefits, Expenses and Financial Aid Cabinet. Members have worked to find appropriate ways to ensure student-athletes get the nutrition they need without jeopardizing Pell Grants or other federal aid received by the neediest student-athletes. With their vote, members of the council said they believe that loosening NCAA rules on what and when food can be provided from athletics departments is the best way to address the issue.