Print/Commercial model Krystal Garner grew up under circumstances that would of lead most through the typical environmental cycles. Using the fear of becoming a product of her environment as motivation, she became more. Krystal isn’t just a model, she’s a role model. Promising to give back to her community, she is highly involved in events that motivate the youth. Attending college as a student-athlete, she became Student Government President, RA, member of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority,Incorporated received numerous awards and much more. Entering the real world, Krystal went after her dreams. She’s now living the dream her mother once wanted, professional model. Krystal has been featured on various commercials, tv shows as well as ripped a few runways and hosted many shows. Krystal is a young, spiritual, corky, beautiful, woman on a mission. Follow her career at www.KrystalGarner.com!
MaseTV Go-Getter of the Week: Krystal Garner
1) What’s your favorite quote that you live by?
- “Our Deepest Fear is not that we are inadequate, Our Deepest Fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our LIGHT, not out darkness that frightens us. We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented and fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There’s nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won’t feel insecure around you. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It’s not just in some of us; it’s in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, Our presence automatically liberates others. ” –Marriane Williamson
2) What motivates you each day to keep going?
- What motivates me to keep going is the thought of not living out my purpose. Everyone has a dash in between the years they are on this earth on their tombstone. That dash symbolizes all that you have accomplished in your lifetime. I am motivated by wanting that dash to be legendary, impactful and full of meaning.
3) How did you know that what you’re doing was what you always wanted to do?
- After achieving the goals society says one should achieve, I felt empty. I decided to work on finding my purpose. Through faith, one day I decided to think back to my childhood and see what it was I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote myself a letter in the 7th grade! In that letter, I stated that I would become a professional model. I set out to achieve my dream and although it is not easy, I am grateful to be living my dreams.
4) Who are your closest friends and why?
- “You are the sum total of who you surround yourself with.” I live by this quote, energy is important. I am blessed to have many groups of friends; network is your net worth. My closest friends currently are 3 successful young ladies who keep me sane everyday- Rainee, Beaye & Nessa! All with or pursuing their masters, socialites, mentally and physically beautiful and can COOK (I love food). They prove that women can have it all, Brains, Beauty and take care of Business.
5) What’s your favorite social network and why?
- My favorite social media site is instagram. I am able to keep people updated on my dreams, look at others accomplishments, laugh, and get motivated all through a live stream of post!
6) If you could work with anyone dead or alive who would it be? And why?
- I would love to work with Spike Lee. I think back to the movies I grew up on from him. I love how he brought awareness to societal issues through his films. I would love to pick his brain and do similar work for our youth to watch and learn from today. Also, he’s a Knick’s fan!!! So I would love to sit next to him during a game one day!
7) What makes you a Go-Getter?
- A Go-Getter is a person that realizes success comes through over coming many failures. Also, a go-getter doesn’t just sit and wait for opportunities to come, they CREATE them. I believe that I am a Go-Getter because sky is not the limit for me, there are no limits; and if I don’t have a rocket ship to get me to where I am destined to go, ill find a way to fly their on my own.
8) Kobe or LeBron?
- Kobe or LeBron, Neither! Carmelo Anthony is my favorite player in the league since he decided to go pro. Kobe is not a ball player to me, but I respect is accomplishments. I enjoy watching LeBron play; he’s also a great person.
9) Beyoncé or Rihanna? Music and looks…
- Kreyonce all the way! Beyoncé is one of my favorite performers currently. She is flawless, that’s it. From Destiny’s Child writings on the wall to Beyoncé’s 4, I have been listening and singing along in my bedroom mirror.
10) If you could tell President Obama one thing what would it be?
- If I could tell President Obama 1 thing, I would hug him and say it’s okay. He has the weight of our culture on his shoulders. Everything that occurs, he is looked at to do something. People don’t realize that there is a governing body that makes decisions. I know he feels it sometimes and I just want to hug him, let him know that it is all going to be okay. He is the 1st; it wasn’t going to be easy. Now doors are open and its time for the rest of us to step up to the plate and take on some responsibility.
MaseTV 3 for 3 (Must list 3 of Each and They Must Be Current)
. Favorite music artist/rappers
- Emeli Sande
. Favorite movies
- The Great Gatsby
- The Hunger Games
. Favorite television shows
- Haves and Have Not’s (OWN)
- The Hustle (Fuse)
- Scandal (ABC)