According to an recent article by the Huffington Post, Being underweight can be the result of an underlying condition: a hyperactive thyroid, a condition that causes “malabsorption” like Celiac disease or a bowel problem like crohn’s disease. So the first step in a weight gain journey should be a trip to the doctor’s office.
Here are our 5 Tips to help you gain weight in a healthy way!
1. Don’t let over three to four hours go by without eating. Your body is like an engine that’s always turned on, so it needs a continuous supply of energy. When you skip meals or go long stretches without eating, you deprive it of the fuel it needs to keep going. The result is a dip into its energy piggy bank, which unfortunately includes muscle mass.
2. Start small — just an extra 200 calories a day, recommends the trainer Jen Cassetty, to see how well your body responds. It’s easy to overdo it, so it’s best to start with a modest change.
3. Drink your calories! Try something healthful and packed with nutrients, like a smoothie of almond milk, berries, bananas and flax seeds.
4. Consider adding some strength training to bulk up with muscle mass. That will require even more calories, according to medical nutritionist (and HuffPost blogger) Dr. Melina Jamplolis. “Your body can build at most about a half-pound of muscle each week, so if you eat too many extra calories trying to build more muscle, you will gain fat, too. I would suggest consuming an extra 250 to 500 calories per day.”
5. Eat several foods at once. The Mayo Clinic’s Katherine Zeratsky, R.D., L.D. suggests that you snack on nuts, peanut butter, cheese, dried fruits and avocados. Always aim for at least three food groups. Instead of just a banana or handful of nuts, top a few slices of whole grain toast with almond butter and banana slices, along with a glass of organic skim milk or a milk substitute (soy, hemp, etc.). A wider varied provides your body with a broader spectrum of nutrients to work with throughout the day.
We would love to hear all about your weight gain journey! Please leave your thoughts in the comment section!
Check out the blog: http://msdulcedeleche.blogspot.com/ Follow me on instagram: @iamhealthyfit Lets talk about it: email@example.com