With the number of both summer jobs and internships expected to increase this summer and many students looking for work to bridge their finances or grow their professional skills, the personal-finance website WalletHub took an in-depth look at 2016’s Best Cities for Summer Jobs.
To help job seekers find the best short-term employment options, WalletHub’s analysts compared the 150 largest summer-job markets in the U.S.
Our data set of 18 metrics ranges from “median income of part-time workers” to “availability of summer jobs” to “percentage of insured part-time workers.”
|Top 20 Cities for Summer Jobs|
|1||Washington, DC||11||Irvine, CA|
|2||Scottsdale, AZ||12||Denver, CO|
|3||San Francisco, CA||13||Minneapolis, MN|
|4||Orlando, FL||14||Grand Rapids, MI|
|5||Reno, NV||15||Salt Lake City, UT|
|6||Cincinnati, OH||16||Atlanta, GA|
|7||Fort Lauderdale, FL||17||Plano, TX|
|8||St. Louis, MO||18||Seattle, WA|
|9||Boise, ID||19||Miami, FL|
|10||Pittsburgh, PA||20||Little Rock, AK|
Comparing the Best & Worst
- Sioux Falls, S.D, has the highest labor-force participation rate of the population aged 16 to 24, 74.28 percent, which is nearly two times higher than in Irvine, Calif., the city with the lowest, 40.03 percent.
- Sioux Falls, S.D., has the lowest unemployment rate of the population aged 16 to 24, 8.9 percent, which is nearly five times lower than in Detroit, the city with the highest, 44.1 percent.
- Scottsdale, Ariz., has the highest median income of part-time workers (adjusted for cost of living), $23,162, which is more than 3.5 times higher than in New York, the city with the lowest, $6,540.
- Miami has the most part-time job openings per 1,000 civilian employed residents aged 16 to 24, 110.93, which is more than 13.6 times the number in Moreno Valley, Calif., the city with the fewest, 8.13.
- Miami has the most internship listings per 1,000 civilian employed residents aged 16 to 24, 21.65, which is nearly 197 times the number in Mesa, Ariz., the city with the fewest, 0.11.
- Rancho Cucamonga, Calif., has the lowest percentage of the population aged 16 to 24 living under the poverty line, 8.5 percent, which is nearly six times lower than in Tallahassee, Fla., the city with the highest, 50.76 percent.
- Springfield, Mo., has the lowest monthly median rent price for a one-bedroom property, $522, which is four times higher than in San Francisco, the city with the highest, $1,814.
For the full report and to see where your city ranks, please visit: