2013 was a good year for stylish men. A lot of dope trends started and a lot died. Plenty of new brands made their debut, and of course our favorite celebrities gave us a lot of inspiration on what trends to pick up and what to wear. Many men found out what their personal style is and discovered what their favorite brands to rock are, which eliminated the label whores. Nonetheless, here are the 10 things our stylish men should be grateful for in 2013.
10. Death of Skinny Jeans: It’s pretty safe to say that Skinny Jeans are not the only type of jeans a stylish man can wear now to be defined as ‘stylish’. In 2013 men pants became more loose fitting. Do not get it confused, men pants are not as baggy as they were in the year 2000, but it’s safe to wear more loose clothing as of 2013.
9. Designer Sneakers: Brands such as Maison Martin Margiela (as shown above) has improved with their sneakers. The result of this is high fashion merging into street fashion. At the end of the day, who wants to wear designer hard bottom shoes and boots everyday? A causal sneaker is always cool.
8. Cozy Boy: This year sweatpants went up about 10 levels. Throughout the previous years you wouldn’t dare see someone rock their “inside the house” outfit in the streets. However, the cozy boy life style introduced tailored sweatpants, comfortable sneakers (such as Nike Rose and Nike Fly Knits), cool sweatshirts and hoodies. This style is one of the most comfortable styles that a man can ever rock. Usually when you think of sweat gear you think of sloppy people but when it comes to the cozy boy that is not the case. The cozy boy look is very stylish and chic.
7. Dying of the Overdoing of Leather and Animal Prints: We hope you fellas did not throw away all of your denim and got straight leather pants in your wardrobe. If you did we apologize for your hypebeast ways. Nonetheless, the leather wearing phase is starting to fade. Don’t get me wrong we love the leather joggers and leather shirts, but some people just cross the line and make it look so tacky. There was a time in 2013 when we believed that our rare animals were almost extinct because of the over doing of animal print and leather. Happy to see that the trend is dying down. slowly.
6. Timberland Comes Back Strong: Timberland made a strong comeback this year with their classic 6″ boot. There was a handful of celebrities that wore the classic boot this year including Jay-Z, Kanye West, Rihanna, Kendrick Lamar, Pharrell Williams, and many more. This year Timberland celebrates 40 years of business. The brand also did a lot of collaborations this year with brands like Stussy, Supreme, and Ronnie Fieg. If you’re a stylish guy we know you have a pair of these classic boots in your closet.
5. Destroyed Denim: YES They came back in the midst of all the leather pants wearers. Even with the new trends that are out now, the destroyed denim found its way back into mens wardrobes this year. A celebrity advocate for this trend starting back up will have to be Kanye West. He chilled with wearing leather pants all time earlier this year.
4. Something other then Jordan’s: This year other brands picked up their games and made some pretty dope sneakers. Brands like Asic and New Balance made a great comeback and actually were viewed as cool sneakers to wear. Who would of thought New Balance would be viewed as a cool sneaker to rock? Back then they were viewed as old people sneakers. Now they have a heavy influence in street fashion.
3. Street Goth: This year street goth style has emerged and has a strong following for this edgy style. This style requires a lot of dark colors, oversized shirts or sweaters, and images of words that are related to some negative words such as death, mort, and funeral. Even though this style might scare you, it is very stylish at the same time. Brands that may help you snag this style could be Rick Owens and Black Scale. Celebrities you would see portraying this style would be rapper ASAP Rocky and his crew, the ASAP Mob.
2. Dover Street Market: Dover Street Market became the capital for all stylish men in New York City this year. The seven story building is mixed with high end brands and street brands in one building. The retail store is located on 160 lexington avenue. Let DSM be your destination for style if you’re in a shopping mood and looking for something new.
1. Kanye got the answers: During the last couple of months Kanye West was venting to the public about how he feels about the fashion industry. Many people called his passionate interviews ‘rants’ and many said he’s just crazy or a cry baby. Whether you liked it or not, I bet Kanye was still the topic of choice even the next day. Believe it or not, Kanye West has made a heavy influence on stylish men this year including Giuseppe Zanotti, Balmain, A.P.C., and Louis Vuitton. His track record is pretty impressive, no? His influence is heavy for a lot of men in fashion today. The famous leather joggers, plaid shirt tied around the waist, and designer sneakers are just some reminders. You could talk crap about him all you want but give the credit when its due. Everything he touches turns gold.
As 2013 comes to an end we hope that you all had a great year and that you have discovered your true style. As 2014 is approaching remember hype beast are not cool lol. However, thank you for being a MaseTV follower. Till next time my friends have a happy new year and stay stylish my friends.